Monday, August 1, 2011

WORLD DEAF LEADERSHIP SCHOLARS SINCE 2003

Vee Yee Chong - (2011)
Country: Malaysia. Field of Study: Deaf Studies with Concentration in Cultural Studies

My name is Vee Yee Chong, and I am from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I received the WDL scholarship award in 2010 to study at Gallaudet University. I began pursuing my graduate degree in Deaf Studies with a concentration in Cultural Studies a year later and completed my degree requirements in the summer of 2014.

Due to Gallaudet's rich resources and unique cultural environment, it is the perfect place to nurture the passion that I have for Deaf people and their communities around the world.

In the future, I hope to use my knowledge in Linguistics, Deaf Studies, and Deaf Education to become a professor or a researcher at a university. This position will allow me to empower current and future generations of Deaf people in Malaysia. Now that I have a master's degree in Deaf Education from Gallaudet, I will be able to bring change to the Deaf community in Malaysia with the knowledge and expertise that only a Gallaudet education can provide.

There is a great need for the Deaf community in Malaysia to undergo significant changes in order to improve their quality of life and educational opportunities. Increasing awareness about the Malaysian Deaf community through research projects and academic articles is an important first step. Despite obstacles along the way, I hope to increase opportunities that will show people the infinite potential of Deaf people.

I owe a lot of gratitude to the Nippon Foundation for the opportunity to be able to study at Gallaudet and bring what I have learned back home to develop a better life for the Malaysian Deaf community.

No comments:

Post a Comment