Saturday, June 6, 2020

Anthony's Valediction on 28 August 2004

Found this valediction while cleaning my stuff. Sharing! 


Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

It is my utmost pleasure to have this opportunity to say a few words today. We stand, gathered together to celebrate the accomplishment of the graduation today. Before I start the speech, I would like to introduce myself. I am Anthony Chong, the first Deaf student in KDU College. I must thank KDU College for giving me great support and chance to study the Diploma of Computer Studies together with other hearing students even though I would have to struggle with the difficulties I encounter.

To my fellow classmates, we’ve made it. YOU and I.. We finally made it. We are graduating. Congratulations! Congratulation not only to us graduates for achieving excellence in academics, both in school and out, but also congratulations to our lecturers, tutors, parents, friends, family, and administrators. Our success is your success, for you have given us the freedom to dare, the courage to excel and the belief that we can achieve our best. You have been there for us with support and care; you had faith when we doubted ourselves. For all these things, we, the FIMT students thank you.

As I think back on the one and half years I spent at KDU College, my mind is filled with memories, happy, sad, frustrating and even humorous. It was a real surprise when I realized that all the FIMT lecturers know about my existence in KDU College. I am so honoured they learned basic sign language in order to communicate with me in and outside class. Even though they are not good at sign language, but at least they are able to communicate with me with simple signs as well as in other ways, for example, using pen-paper method and email. I should thank the lecturers, especially, Mrs Susan Phoon, Ms. Deehba and Ms. Sharon for ensuring success in my studies by creating and supporting a conducive learning environment.

When I was talking to a friend last year, the first thing he asked was for my apology if he offended me as a deaf student. At first, I don’t really understand him. After he wrote his explanation down, I understood what he said. I told him that I am not ashamed of being a deaf student or person. I told him that the word “hearing impaired” would make me feeling uncomfortable. In the Deaf culture, the word “Deaf” is not a rude word but is also an identity of deaf people. He is not the first, I have encountered in such situation; once again I have to explain the facts to them.

The oral-hearing communication will always be the main challenge in my life because I cannot communicate orally as I cannot regain my hearing ability. I am not sad about this, but I am happy to bring the deaf culture and life to KDU College to help prepare the hearing students to be more aware and accept deaf graduates and colleagues in the working environment. They would not have deaf-phobia as they have had experience with me when I was there with them!

It was indeed fun when I saw some of my classmates trying to sign some signs they had asked me to teach them. They wanted to show off that they also can communicate with me even though it is just a word or two. I was happy that they accepted me as their friend even though we rarely communicated that way they normally do with each other. Thanks to my course mates, especially, Ms Padmapriya, for their kind-hearted, open-minded, accepting and understanding nature. 

So my parting words today are simply: continue to share your individual talents and built up knowledge and developed skills as well as your time, your energies, and your love. Time is too precious to not enjoy it.

Lastly, I would like to say thank you again. I say thank you today to those who have helped us graduates to savour this moment and preparing us for the future. Thank you to everyone who helped made the dream of graduation a reality, especially for me. I wish all graduates the best of luck and continued success.

Thank you and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment